Thursday, October 9, 2008

Liquor Stores are the New Department Stores


Liquor Stores are the New Department Stores

Orlando Campbell , Youth Radio

What’s the new what? I say liquor stores are the new department stores.

“Liqa Sto Song”

These days when you go to your local corner store to buy a 99 cent bag of chips and a soda, you might end up leaving with a whole new wardrobe.

Walk into an inner-city liquor store in the San Francisco Bay Area and you’ll probably witness firsthand how huge this phenomenon has become.

“Liqa Sto Song”

D.Willz, a rapper from the Oakland , even made a song about it.

D.Willz- When you go to the mall….you got the clothes the food and shoes and everything you need is right there one stop shop…

It started with five dollar white tees, and grew into selling almost any type of clothing imaginable right there at your local neighborhood liquor store.

D.Willz- It’s cheaper you know you can go to the mall and get a pair of Jordan ’s for like what 150 you go to the liquor store you can get it for 50 bucks

And I feel much better supporting a family run business in my own community than some huge corporate run department store.

Kia Shine- “So krispy”

While regular people are struggling, rappers like Kia Shine are talking about spending 900 on a pair of jeans on a pair of shoes. Entertainers talking all this slick stuff are giving kids unrealistic goals and misplaced values.

Liquor stores not only make shopping more convenient, but also keep guys Leon Sykes, an Oakland resident and faithful liquor store shopper, fashionable and up to date for a reasonable price.

1:02 Nowadays it seems as if designer clothing no longer matters because the economies going down as far as pricing is rising, were in a recession so people are trying to get whatever they can get for their money.

He’s not lying. There have been countless times when the corner store has come to the rescue, like recently, when I got a call from that gorgeous girl I had been trying to kick it with.

“Let’s go to the movies” she said. As I was about to walk out the door I glanced in the mirror. I had been wearing that same black hoodie, flipped back beanie, and old white-tee for way too long. I needed to step it up, and fast. A quick walk around the corner elevated my clothing game to a new peak, with enough time to pick up my beautiful date, get my popcorn, and find a seat all the way in the back of the pitch black theater.

“Liqa Sto Song” fake or real part

For Youth Radio, I’m Orlando Campbell.

No comments: